Sunday, October 21, 2007

Unfit Mother?

Sometimes I wonder if I have what it takes to raise my rueful child. Sometimes I wonder just what I got myself into. Its those days when she is acting like a crazy idoit that I want to beat over the head.

Again, here is a problem with me not having much patience.

I have to remember that she is not yet 5 months old. Its like thinking your 2 year old is going to mind perfectly and NOT trash the house everyday or make a mess eating. Its just not going to happen. Its probably a good thing I don't have kids yet. At lest with Ele I can smack her on the nose when she tries to bite and put her back in her stall when I'm done dealing with her.

Of course it would help if I would work with her everyday. I know I can blame my weather, which I do alot, its just that I have to get over some laziness with this new horse. She needs to be worked with pretty much everyday, if she is going to remember anything that I try to teach her. She isn't like Ringo, who remembers alot of what I teach him and even after a month off, will still preform well. But that DID take years for him to be like that.

Its just been years since I really worked with any foal, its taking some getting used to again and I have never raised one from 4 months on. I got Ringo when he was 4 and he could lead and lunge and stuff. This baby knows nothing!

The techniques of teaching a foal to lead really isn't HARD, it just takes time, patience, and some arm strength. ( Especially with this baby!) Nothing like trying to control a 300lb+ animal who is wanting to go off one way, while you don't! I just need to get myself in a better mind frame.

Need to take it slow.

Need to work with her daily!

Need to stay upbeat and optimistic about my new baby, even when she is trying to eat my arm!

Need to remember how freaking awesome she is going to be if I do this right.

No comments: